Well we’re back and we’re randomly tanking things in ICC today. For those who have had the opportunity to do most of the weekly ICC quests, arguably the most annoying one is Lady Deathwhisper’s. Done in a conventional way, you remove an entire player from your team to go OT/babysit Darnavan, to keep him alive without letting him slaughter your raid. Fortunately your raid has a hunter with a properly specced Tenacity pet! Or at least it should. [Read more…] about Hunter Tanking ICC: Darnavan
As you may have learned from my previous post, my guild has nearly cleared the first wing of Icecrown Citadel 10 man. Our 25 man did manage to drop Lord Marrowgar this past Thursday, but struggled on Lady Deathbringer. Not enough people were clear on their roles, which is a sure fire ingredient for fail when dealing with the amount of adds in the 25 man encounter.
Anyway, I figured I’d offer up a brief recap of the 10 man versions, along with a few tips from a Hunter’s perspective. We’ve completed 3/4 of the encounters and have gotten pretty close to dropping Deathbringer. That’s a difficult fight, but I feel we’ve got a good shot at getting him before the raid reset. We shall see.
As a Hunter, this fight isn’t all that tough as long as you pay attention to these things:
- Get out of the path of Coldflame – Lord Marrowgar sends out a Coldflame which travels towards a random person in the raid. It can be easily avoided if you’re paying attention, as it moves moves fairly slow. 18K frost damage over 3 seconds if it gets you, so be mindful.
- Call out and DPS down the Bone Spikes – Marrowgar will hurl a spike at a random player, which will then cause all players between the intended target and Marrowgar to be stuck in the Bone Spike Graveyard. These Bone Spikes must be dealt with immediately. Getting the Bone Spikes down ASAP is the most important part of this encounter. The Bone Spike itself causes an instant 9K damage when the player is impaled, followed by additional damage equal to 10% of the player’s remaining health for 10 seconds. What makes the Bone Spikes especially dangerous is the fact that the affected player is unable to move, which makes them a sitting duck for Cold Flame. He’ll emote just before tossing down the Bone Spikes, so be looking for them. Ideally, the range should be spread out to one side of him so that anyone impaled can be reached easily. If people start running around all fancy crazy trying to avoid Coldflame and then get impaled on a Bone Spike a good distance from the DPS & heals, then it causes problems.
- It’s not too hard for us Hunters to see the spikes as they appear, but if you find you’re not getting to them quick enough, spamming tab target or creating a /target Bone Spike macro could come in handy. It’s also important to let your raid know if you’re impaled. If you’re not on vent, then a macro letting the group know: >>> [YOURNAME] IS GETTING BONED <<<, can be clutch. 😉
- Avoid Bone Storm – Throughout the fight Marrowgar will go into a 20 second Whirlwind type attack, then charge random players. After attacking them for a few seconds, he’ll go after another player, damaging everything in his path. Bone Storm by itself isn’t lethal (only does 6K over 2 seconds), but if you happen to get hit by a Coldflame followed by Bone Storm, then you may have issues. If you do happen to get caught in a Bone Storm, then Deterrence will help out here.
- Apply Misdirection following Bone Storm – Bone Storm resets Marrowgar’s aggro table, so it’s imperative that the tanks pick up threat once it’s over. If not, he’s likely to target a healer or DPS and send them to the GY. Stop DPS before the timer runs out and then cast a Misdirection and resume DeePS.
- Rinse and repeat ’til he’s dead.
- Celebrate and distribute loots.
The key here is making it to the second phase. The second phase is pretty much a DPS race. If you can make it past the first phase, it’s relatively smooth sailing the rest of the way provided you have the firepower.
[Read more…] about ICC: Week One
I never would have imagined that after spending 10 months with nothing higher than an ilvl 213 ranged weapon, I’d upgrade Talonstrike in just over two months. It’s a small upgrade, but a decent one nonetheless.
After about 5 unsuccessful attempts on Lady Deathwhipser this past Tuesday, our 10 man returned the following night, sharper and better prepared. I’m happy to say, we one shotted her this time. 😀
She was even gracious enough to give me her Njordnar Bone Bow. It’s not nearly the jump from Talonstrike, as Final Voyage to Talonstrike was, but it’s better itemized for me and provides about a 75 DPS bump. Plus, it’s +120 top end damage and .7% crit upgrade will prove mightier for PvP. I also get to dump some of that pesky hit rating I had in favor of moar agility. Yay!
Most importantly… look at it..! It’s freaking awesome!!!
I was the only Hunter in the raid, so I got it at a bargain basement DKP price to boot. 😀
I’m really anxious to try this out in arena over the weekend. This new tool of destruction, combined with the additional 200AP bonus I now have on my PvP set and the 3% damage buff from Culling the Herd, should provide for some nice big, beautiful numbers. 🙂
WoWhead doesn’t seem to have this in their database yet, so here’s a look at the numbers.
Later that night we made it as far as Deathbringer Saurfang, but after about 4 attempts, we threw in the towel. The Gunship Battle is one of the funnest fights ever, but Saurfang is not. The Saurfang fight sucks, but hopefully we’ll get a chance to down him this weekend.
If time permits, I’ll try to get together a quick post about these encounters for those that have yet to try them. If not tonight, then perhaps tomorrow.
I didn’t get to explore too much of the goodness that is Patch 3.3, but I was able to get a little time in ICC tonight.
After half a dozen unsuccessful attempts with our 25 man group, our 10 man came back and handed him his ass. This fight didn’t seem all that difficult as long as everyone switched to the spikes quick enough, and the casters stayed to one side of the boss. Of course, this sort of coordination is much easier achieved with 10 people than it is with 25. Better luck on Thursday perhaps.
We got a couple of decent attempts in on Lady Deathwhisper, but by this time our group was starting to wither. Some of the people had been running heroics and/or raiding all day, and were about to pass out. Others were starved (yes… some folks forget to eat on patch day), or both. After about 4 attempts we didn’t have any gas left in the tank, so we called it. We did make it to the end of phase 1 at least. 😉
Now I’m not sure if my video card was going bonkers or not, but I was seeing some strange graphical errors tonight. Maybe it’s a Mac thing.
While going to farm some Mammoth Meat in Storm Peaks, I happened upon this strange phenomenon.
Then later, after one of the many wipes in ICC, I saw this spectacle while on my corpse run.
Other than the usual stuff… .lua errors, DC’s, long loading screeens, etc… I also noticed my video was rendering a bit differently. That I’m definitely thinking may have been a mac issue. It was a lot less fluid than prior to 3.3. 🙁
Hmmm… maybe my ol’ pal Blaquespell will have some light to shed on this.
Anyway, it’s late and I’m beat. Time for sleepy. See you tomorrow.