Update: 08/02/2010 – For an updated version of this guide, please refer to this page. It includes pet build information current through Patch 3.3.5.
AKA Dalaila’s In-Depth Response…
Excerpt from one of Dalaila’s recent comments…
I’m currently using a wolf for raiding and I’d like to ask you what talents are you placing for maximum dps (ferocity). Got a tree/link?
You Betcha. I’ll do ya one better though… here’s a post about it. 😉
My 16 Point Ferocity Pet Talent Build
For when I raid as Marksman
- 2 Points in Cobra Reflexes – Straight DPS boost. Although the attacks don’t hit as hard, the added haste = more DPS, especially for BM Hunters.
- 1 Point in Dash – This enables my pet to get to the fight quicker, as well as move from add to add faster, etc.
- 1 Point in Bloodthirsty – I just dont want him to lose happiness in the middle of a long boss fight.
- 3 Points in Spiked Collar – Straight DPS boost.
- 3 Points in Avoidance – Mandatory for pet survivability in raids, plus it’s needed for Rabid.
- 3 Points in Spider’s Bite – 9% more pet crit… Yum.
- 1 Point in Rabid – DPS boost.
- 1 Point in Call of the Wild – DPS boost. Macro it with Rapid Fire.
- 1 Point in Wild Hunt – 10% more AP > 3% damage from Shark Attack, especially for MM due to Trueshot Aura Attack Power scaling.
Some Hunters go for Improved Cower over Bloodthirsty, but not me. Improved Cower reduces damage, but I’d rather not take a chance on the pet happiness. Both choices are fine IMO.
So there ya have it. That’s how I choose to spec my only non-exotic Hunter pet, my ghost wolf, for when I raid as MM.
Happy Dalaila..? 😉