March 3, 2010
Is it still possible to tame this flaming armored boar? Yup! Solo? You bet! As Alliance? Umm… no. As a starting Tauren hunter? no, you’ll die unless you’re a few levels higher. Read on.
Ready? Here’s how:
1. Get the Feed of Evil quest. If you’re a Tauren hunter, sorry, you might have done this already. If you’re just starting out, you won’t survive the fall… you’ll succeed at a higher level. More on this later.
2. Now run/fly up a small hill right near a trough. You’ll see two boars right beside the trough. We will attempt to tame the one beside the trough nearest the hill. (We will not tame the wandering boars…)
This is the challenging part. Be in Aspect of the Cheetah and…
3. Throw the torch — don’t worry, it will auto target the trough. (This is the cool stuff here. The torch is thrown way up so it’ll buy you some time to tame without the boar dying too soon!) Be in range though.
4. Run to the boar (you’ll fall and take damage — and this is why a low level Tauren won’t survive) and cast Tame Beast once it’s available. In a few seconds, the torch will hit the trough and the boar you’re taming will catch fire. It will run around but will not break the tame.
5. Right before the tame ends, spam Revive Pet.
This is the tricky part.
If you did the timing right, the boar *will not* be seen in your stable. You have to rez him first to see him — but he’ll still not be in the stable. Log out, and he’ll be in the stable once you log back in. I did several tames before I got the timing right.
I’m sharing this because although the burning appearance is a glitch, it does not provide any combat advantage. The armored boar can easily be targeted too. Good luck and have fun solo taming!
Thanks to Kanegasi for the taming idea (his approach was to *just* time the tame. No Revive spam at all. So you might want to try that.)
Btw, I named mine Bulgogi.