Since I have yet to tame him, I am by no means offering a blueprint for success. However, after spending probably a collective 30-35 hours (at least) looking for him, I have a few pieces of advice that may help others.
Update: With so many high level Hunters after Loque, new information is filtering in daily it seems. Most notably (and unfortunate) are the addition of new spawn locations. From what I’ve been reading, it appears now that there are a minimum of 7 spawn locations for Loque’nahak.
- Loque’nahak spawns in at least 7 known points across Sholazar Basin. (see map)
- Before seeking him, wait until level 77 so that you can fly around the basin instead of riding a ground mount.
- He is on a 6 hour spawn timer.
- He is only up for approximately 10 minutes once he spawns (I’m assuming this has to do with his transition between the physical and spiritual worlds… I dunno).
- He will probably not last 2 minutes once spawned before he is ether killed or tamed. I am on a medium population server and it is crazy busy in the basin.
- Once he is killed, it will take approximately 20 minutes for his corpse to disappear. It is believed that the 6 hour timer starts at the moment of his despawn.
- If you find his corpse and are a skinner, have at him. Skinning him results in a blue cape drop.
- Level to 77 so that you can get Cold Weather Flying. This makes things so much easier.
- If you are a skinner I suggest camping him west of The Nesingwary Camp. Even if you don’t get Loque, you will get rich.
- Don’t try to find him until you can fly.
- The east and south spawn areas are also good places for skinning, and they are pretty close together. You can grind gorillas while you pat back and forth between the two points looking for him. The downside is, this place is usually teeming with other players. Lots of competition.
- To cut down on travel time, you can sit atop The Glimmering Pillar and use Eagle Eye to scout the two northern spawn locations. This obviously requires a flying mount. This also may be contingent upon game settings as well. The downside is, the precious several seconds required to fly down to him may be long enough for someone else to reach him first. It still can be helpful to rule out those two locations before heading off to another.
- If you have a friend who can help you, have them sit at the western location. Set your hearth to the Nesingwary Camp. No matter where you are, if he should spawn there you could get to him in just over 30 seconds.
- Get an addon called RareFinder. It sounds an alert and displays a message on your screen if you target or mouse over a rare. After days upon days of looking you can start to fall asleep at the wheel. This helps prevent that.
- Did I mention you should wait until you can fly before trying to find him.
Lastly, make sure you are using a target macro. I use the following:
/target loque /target king krush /target aotona
Spam it while you are flying around and it will target any of the rares in the area. There are claims that only one rare can be present in Sholazar Basin at a given time. However, I have read stories to the contrary. It’s also said that their spawn timers are related. I don’t know whether any of this is true or not, but it’s a good macro to use. If you’re looking to tame King Krush also, like I am, then defnitely use it.
I’ll update this if I can think of anything else. Ultimately, taming Loque’nahak is pure luck. It’s a perfect example of being in the right place at the right time.
Hopefully my right place and right time is coming soon.